Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Painting and Drawing on Fabric: Finding my inner artist

I've been wanting to try fabric painting for a long time. I even picked up some cute stencils, black licorice fabric paint and a foam brush a while back, but never got around to trying.

I decided that today I wanted a pick-me-up project. And I wanted it to be something new (heaven forbid I actually tackle all those unfinished projects). So I pulled out some fabric scraps, painting supplies, and away I went.

I have to say, like many things I try lately, I'm hooked!

I found yet another thing to be obsessed with. Painting on fabric.


I can't even deal with how much I love these letters.
The old-style script with the antique look of the paint....sigh.



And don't get me started on the lovely Fleur de lis.


Okay, so that's it. I know, whooptie doo. But that was my test run. And now that I know I'm not a total fabric painting spaz, I have some ideas brewing...I see dishtowels, a tote or two and possibly a hobo bag in my future...

Onto the next adventure. Drawing on fabric with a fabric pen (sharpies are taking a back seat at the moment).

I mentioned a while back how much I LOVE Isak Zenou's illustrations, and I wondered, could I recreate something that wonderful, on a t-shirt? I wanted to try. (And just so you know, I wouldn't ever try to sell a copied version of his illustrations, like they'd pass anyway, but it's just for my own fun.)

Supplies:
  • Izak illustration printed off my computer
  • White piece of paper to back it
  • Tape
  • Fine tip fabric pen
  • Piece of bleached white muslin
  • Black licorice fabric paint and fine tip brushes (optional)



I taped the picture to the window (with a piece of white paper behind it), taped the white muslin on top of that and traced it with a fine tip black fabric pen. The window made a perfect light box.


I'll admit, I tried this with black paint instead of a fabric pen first, and it was bad. I mean BAD. My paint brushes were way too wide so when I was done it basically looked like she'd been punched in the face. And had cried a lot. While wearing large amounts of mascara. You catch my drift? I felt really bad for her.

So here's my attempt with a fabric pen (top copy is the print, bottom is my tracing)
It's clearly no Izak Zenou, but it's a start.

I tried another illustration while I was at it (top copy is the original).



It was seriously fun!  I'll let you know when I decide to go for it and take it to the next level - actually draw on my white t-shirt. Had any experience designing t-shirts with fabric pens? I'd love to see what you came up with!


Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea - I can't wait to try it!
    Michele P
    http://sewinspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, that is so cool! i really like that style of illustration.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips